Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Stone Age 3D

Before it became the "soup de jour" I had planned a film in 3D . I had figured that I could do it by matting and layering 3D elements in After Effects ( I think it was like version 2 or 3 ) I modeled in precambrian Hash for Mac and imported the DFX files into a program called Specular3D (a freebee to do logo animation as I remember) . I got some really terrific effects and it actually could do some simple animations layered in. I lost some really wonderful tests in a drive crash ( ah the days of Seagate and their ultra expensive and deliciously unreliable 10,000 rpm drives ) . All lost like teardrops in the rain ....... except ..... I found one jpeg extracted from the original mov . This ship is tumbling away from this Super Nova of a explosion after some ridiculous and goofy thing happens in their lab, I really don't remember the story but I'm sure it was melodramatic and overblown. I'm like that. To ghosts of the past that can never live again.

6 comments:

Mark Koetsier said...

Hello my old friend. I have to tell you how I came about your site. I am now roommates with Ben Balisteri and he said he had a blogspot! So, now tonight I decide to take a look at his site. And low and behold I find you as a link. So I thought I'd say hello. I have a blogspot as well...mkoetsier.blogspot.com. Check me out! I don't have much up, but I'm starting to put up more. Take care!

Mark

TotalD said...

Hi Mark,
Ahhh Ben that disgustingly talented muffin , I'm off to leave my spoor all over your wonderful s site. Terrific stuff, I love the Benny animations. You are so good it hurts.

bog_art said...

You have a really good blog here!.. with lot og good entries and sketches.. congratulations!..

PS: what did happen Tuesday, April 8, 2008?

Hobo Divine said...

It looks beautiful!
I love goofy things that happen in the lab!

Not to me of course, but in movies.

Gerard Jones said...

Hi! This isn't about the post in question--but I've just learned that you were one of the animators on the Arrow reel for Bill and Sue Kroyer. I wrote that screenplay, and I loved the animation on the reel. I'd enjoy touching base on all this--and wondering if you're still in touch with Bill and Sue?
Best,
Gerry Jones

TotalD said...

Well , we went to Dori's wedding last Sunday together. Yeah , sure we are.